What are my course options, and how do I get enrolled?

There are two courses offered by KD Motorcycle Training:

  • a beginner rider course (BRC1)
  • an advanced rider course (BRC2)

Click here get additional details on each course, their course schedules, and how to enroll.

What does the course cost?

BRC1 – $369 (price includes MSF’s online Basic e-Course) – More Info

BRC2 – $249 (price includes MSF’s online Street Strategies e-Course) – More Info

Do I need to take the course?

Anyone who drives a motorcycle must have a Class M motorcycle license or motorcycle instruction permit.

Moped drivers do not need a Class M license. They can operate a moped with a Class D regular or probationary license. However, it is not legal to operate a moped with only a valid instruction permit.

Click here to go to the Wisconsin DOT website for more information.

Do I need my temporary permit before the course begins?

BRC1 – No.  As of October 1, 2006, individuals completing a BRC1 are not required to hold a motorcycle temporary permit before they register and take the BRC1 course.

NOTE 1: Students who want to practice riding their motorcycle on the roadways prior to attending the motorcycle course will need their temporary permit.  You’ll need to pass the written knowledge test at the Department of Transportation and pay the temporary permit fee.
NOTE 2: Individuals who want a temporary permit for the third time will need  to provide verification of enrollment to the Department of Transportation.  If requested, KDMT-MKE can e-mail you a Proof of Enrollment letter upon enrollment and successful payment.

Contact Support at (262) 895-3805, or email, to request the proof of enrollment letter.

BRC2 – Yes

NOTE 1: Participants must be 18 years or older to enroll in and/or attend the BRC2.
NOTE 2: Same as Note 2 above.

What is the age limit to take the course?

BRC1 – Students must be 15 ½ years of age and have completed Driver Education Theory.  If under 18, a parent or guardian approval is required.

BRC2 – Students must be 18 years or older.

I live way north of Milwaukee. What course options are there?
KDMT-MKE understands the commuting difficulty as the distance away from our site gets longer.  If near the Green Bay area, check out our Green Bay training site for availability:


What forms/waivers are required?

The following waivers are required and must be signed and given to the instructor at the first interaction of the course, generally the classroom session:

* IF UNDER 18, you MUST have a parent or guardian sign BOTH forms below in the presence of the class instructor at the time of class, OR, you can have the forms/parental signatures notarized prior to the start of your class.

Where are the Classroom Instruction and the Range Exercises held/located?

Classroom and/ Range information can be found on the website’s “Location & Maps” page in the “Courses” menu. 

Click here to go to that page.

What does the course consist of, and how many hours?

BRC1 – 18 hours

  • eCourse:
    • 3 hours
    • It is a computer-based training overview of motorcycles, gear, and riding concepts
    • The online e-Course must not be completed more than 30 days prior to the date of your first class event.
  • Classroom Instruction:
    • 5 hours
    • Students will be introduced to concepts and strategies to minimize risk and handle special riding situations
  • Riding Exercises:
    • 10 hours, spread over 2 days
    • Students are coached on the physical skills of basic control skills including straight line riding, stopping, turning and shifting; then, more advanced skills are taught, such as stopping quickly, cornering and swerving.

BRC2 – 9 hours

  • Classroom Instruction
    • 3 hours
  • Riding Exercises
    • 6 hours
  • This course is generally done in one day
Do I need to bring my own motorcycle?

BRC1 – No

  • However, students may use their own licensed motorcycle/scooter of 500cc or less along with proof of registration and insurance.

BRC2 – Yes

  • Students must bring their own licensed motorcycle
  • Documentation requirements provided to the instructor include:
    • Class “M” license or temporary motorcycle license
    • Proof of registration
    • Proof of insurance.
What supplies are required for riding on the range?

The student is required to wear the appropriate riding gear for riding sessions, including:

  • long pants
  • long sleeve shirt (and/or jacket)
  • sturdy shoes that cover ankles (leather boots preferred; no canvas shoes)
  • full-fingered gloves
  • eye protection (clear lenses preferred)
  • a DOT-approved helmet

See the “Riding Gear” page for more information.

Note: KD Motrocycle Training has the following available to the student for rent, if needed:

  • limited number of training helmets from Med to 2XL ($10) 
  • gloves ($5)
  • goggles ($5)
  • limited number and sizes of over-the-ankle boots for both women and men ($5)
What are the requirements for successful completion?

BRC1 – The student must:

  • Attend all classes
  • Participate in all range exercises
  • Be on time for class and range
  • Sign and turn in both Liability Waiver and Covid-19 Waiver forms
  • Participate in learning and class discussions
  • Successfully pass the online Basic e-Course
  • Pass the riding assessment that measure riding competencies

BRC2 – The student must:

  • Attend all classes
  • Participate in all range exercises
  • Be on time for class and range
  • Sign and turn in both Liability Waiver and Covid-19 Waiver forms
  • Participate in learning and class discussions
  • Successfully pass the Street Strategies online e-Course
  • Pass the riding assessment that measure riding competencies
  • Provide their own motorcycle, along with proof of registration and insurance
  • Possess a motorcycle temporary license
What are my options if I don't pass the course?

There are a number of options available as next steps if you fail the course.  These options depend on your progress in the initial course.  You and the Rider Coach will come to an agreement on an assessment of your overall skill progress, and one of the following options will be implemented:

For specific policy details, go to the “Retake Policy” in the policy section of the FAQs page.

I have an out-of-state license. Can I still take the course?

Yes. *

* If you are taking the class as a waiver for your home state’s licensing requirements, some states do not accept Wisconsin-issued BRC completion cards.  Click here to see the restrictions for your state.

Do I have access to the eCourse if I'd like to review the information?

Yes.  You have lifetime access to your eCourse.  Click here to access it with your username and password.

What is required for classroom training?


  • eCourse:
    • upon registration, a confirmation email is sent to your email account with eCourse access information (a website, username and password); this must be completed within 30 days of your classroom session.
    • If you did not receive the registration email:
      • check your email account’s SPAM folder
      • contact KD Motorcycle Training Support at the phone number at the top of the website.
    • eCourse URL:
  • Waivers:  there are two waivers (at this time) that must be printed, reviewed and signed;  these waivers shall be given to the instructor prior to the start of class.
  • Documents/Supplies:
    • eCourse Cert (printed copy)
    • Signed Waiver(s)
    • Pen/Pencil
    • Optional:  personal refreshments (beverage, snacks)
  • Positive attitude! 🙂
What does "counseled out" mean?

It the goal of KD Motorcycle Training to provide each student the best training course possible, and to that end, each Rider Coach will work with each student based on their needs.  However, if a student exhibits riding tendencies that result in an unsafe and risky environment to himself/herself or to others, the training school and the Rider Coach have the obligation to remove the student from the range and end the training session for that student.

For specific policy details, go to the “Counseled Out Policy” in the policy section of the “About KDMT-MKE” menu.

I have a motorcycle license and have rode motorcycles before. Do I have to attend the classroom session?

Yes.  All course components must be completed for successful passing of the course.  See the “What does the course consist of” FAQ for details.

Will I have difficulty riding the motorcycle?

Motorcycling is an awesome and fun experience, and absent special and unique situations, most people can safely ride a motorcycle.  With proper technique and mental awareness, a confident rider can ride most any motorcycle of any size.

However, there are some considerations that you can assess about yourself that will make the experience easier or more difficult. A positive response to the following questions will set you up for success:

  1. Can you ride a bicycle?
    This is a prerequisite for enrolling in our Basic
    RiderCourse and generally a good gauge of your ability to maneuver a motorcycle.  Bicycling, like motorcycling, is a physical activity that involves balance and coordination.
  2. Am I mentally ready to ride a motorcycle?
    Riding a motorcycle is not for everybody.  There is inherent risk, and some people are fearful or anxious.  Fear and anxiety are not helpful emotions when riding a motorcycle.
  3. Am I physically able to ride a motorcycle?
    There are certain heights that make riding some motorcycles more difficult.  If you are unable to put your feet firmly on the ground while on the seat, the overall operation is more risky and uncomfortable.


What size and type of motorcycles are used in the range training?


  • Motorcycles used in the BRC1 are 500cc or smaller.  Models currently include: BMW GS310 (310cc), BMW GR310 (310cc). 
  • Training site owned scooters are not available; a student may use their own scooter if proof of registration and insurance is provided.


  • The student will use their own motorcycle.
Are Scooters available for range training?

No.  At this time, there are no school-owned scooters available for the range training.

However, student-owned scooters are allowed upon proof of registration and insurance prior to the first range day.

Can I use my own motorcycle or scooter in for the range training?

Requirements are based on the course…

  • BRC1:  Yes … if a motorcycle, if must be under 500cc;  if a scooter 50cc or greater.  
  • BRC2:  Yes, this is a requirement.

For both courses, use of a student-owned motorcycle or scooter requires proof of insurance and registration must be provided to KD Motorcycle Training prior to the first range training date.


Will I get my license if I pass the course?

The successful completion of your BRC1/BRC2 course results in a waiver for the skills/road test portion of the Wisconsin Dept of Transportation (WISDOT) licensing requirements.  Additionally, there is a knowledge test administered at the DMV.

When you complete your course, you will be issued a MSF Completion Card as proof of successful completion.

  • The WISDOT will be notified within 2 business days after card issuance of your passing the course;  at that time, you can visit any DMV center and get your Class “M” Endorsement (provided other licensing requirements are met).
  • If you arrive at the DMV prior to KD Motorcycle Training notifying the DMV of you passing the MSF course, your MSF Card can be used as proof of your successful passing of the course.

Click here to go to the Wisconsin DOT website for more information.

I have an out-of-state license. Can I still take the course?

Yes. *

* If taking the class as a waiver for your home state’s licensing requirements, some states do not accept Wisconsin-issued BRC completion cards.  Click here to see the restrictions for your state.